Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 06:52 PM
TE Expert

Default To macjake: The car....

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your very kind remarks!

Actually, once I'd posted this, I looked at it again and realised that I'd mucked up the editing as the whole picture looked a bit dull and drab. I checked it in Photoshop and the Levels were all over the place. I've never quite found out how to "re-post" an image so I've added a workshop picture which, I think, is a bit of an improvement - as well as a black and white one which Jean (jemaflor) wanted to see. So, sorry about that.

Ah, the car. I bought it about 30 years ago. I'd kinda been looking for a wee toy to play with and I used to look through advertisements in the local paper for old secondhand cars. Almost all were rusty heaps about 10 years old or so but this one caught my eye and I went to see it and fell in love. It was a bit of a wreck when I got it but, most importantly, it was all complete - everything was there so I had no problems trying to find gauges, lamps and the sort of stuff which tends to go missing with old cars. All four wings/mudguards/fenders (or whatever you call them) were rusted through in places so I had to do quite a bit of repair work on them as well as repainting the whole thing. Also, luckily, the old leather seats were in pretty good nick and just needed some cleaning and wax - getting leather upholstery done can cost a fortune. So I did almost all the work myself including stripping the engine and so on. Took me over a year working evenings and weekends and any spare time I had.

She's still not perfect by any means but I don't want her as a museum piece - I just love getting out in her and pottering around the country roads on a fine day. She'll hit 50 mph on a clear road and uses about a gallon every 35 miles. Not bad. Cost me 1,500 and I doubt if I've spent more than half that on doing her up. Great fun - will give you a ride in her if ever you're over here!

Take care.

Cheers,

John.