To Furachan: Pretty much right on - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Furachan 2007-11-05 5:04

Ok, Darren, here goes. A fine note, a genuinely interesting, moving face but...two things:
1. Close portrait with pure bokeh beyond it - no real attempt at "situating" him within a recognizable context. That is a mistake in my opinion.
2. Why color? Surely you'd get more mileage out of a well toned BW, it might justify some of that bokeh space.
It is an arresting face - intelligent, compassionate, all that.
I just dunno... let's see how this plays out in the "community".
For me it's a half dose of gren, buddy, above reasons being the cause.
bw,
Francis

Old 11-05-2007, 12:12 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Furachan: Pretty much right on

Hi Francis. I can't really debate any of your points; I agree with most all of them. Situating him with context would be a loss though; we were sitting in an authentic Irish/Taiwanese pub and everyone around him was caucasian; hardly the kind of context that would add to the story here. The lack shallow DOF is similarly hiding non too interesting (to my Canadian eyes) western people. Actually, greater DOF was pretty much out of the question; this was @ iso1600 wide open and still only at 1/15th. You are probably right about b&w, I just tend to like the odd look of mixed lighting color. Mostly though, I uploaded this as a way to relate what was a fascinating few hours in my life. The photo isn't great and I think you know that I knew this already.

Actually, in the past months, most of my relatively few uploads are chosen not because I think they were my best photos, but because of the story behind the photo. This is one of the most prime examples.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Furachan: Pretty much right on

Well Darren, as you know, getting half doses from your good self was one of the most enjoyable things furing my time on TE. And now that I've relegated myself to "critique only" status (read my intro), I couldn't pass up this chance to returnt he compliment ;o)
For what it's worth and you don't have to take it to heart if you don't want to but the idea of uploading something you know isn't up to much simply because of the "story" is just wrong headed. You should instead go for the very BEST shot you are capable of, every single time, mate, because how else can you combat the swelling tide of mediocrity that hreatens to engulf us all at any moment, eh?