Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great singuanti 2006-03-24 22:07

Thanks Paul I do enjoy it! You're not showing a ND filter and for that I'm impressed you were able to get an 8 second exposure. You're also not showing a tripod so good job hand-holding that 8 second exposure, lol! Outstanding falls shot Paul.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:48 PM
TE Expert

Default To singuanti: Hey

Hand held for 8 seconds ...i think not...looks like I forgot to click yes to the tripod button. Interesting places one can find on the side of a mountian.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:32 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To singuanti: Hey

Paul,
You know I just got my new Nikon 18-200 with VR (vibration reduction for you non-Nikon types). And in screwing around in my backyard I've got good stable and sharp night shots from 1/3rd second all the way to a full second hand-held. I do know that this has the latest generation of VR so that must be working the magic. I'm planning on going to a cave tomorrow to see how good I am.

Steve
Old 03-26-2006, 05:35 AM
TE Expert

Hey Steve that sounds great. Wow 1/3 of a second is amazing hand held. Very nice indeed. I bet that will be adding a new twist on your photos too. I am really happy for you on the new addition. Thanks for letting me know. I will be looking forward to see some zoom photos from you. I have a feeling that the 18-200 will be on your camera almost all the time! Pretty wide zoom range there. Even though you are a Non Canon user I still like ya! Cheers!

Paul
Old 03-27-2006, 07:39 AM
TE Senior Member

Paul,
Yes the plan will be to leave it on there for about 99% of the time. That will be nice for sensor dust reasons.
Thanks you're not too bad for a Canon guy I guess! ;)

Steve
Old 03-28-2006, 02:41 AM
TE Expert

Its always interesting how both pro Nikon and Canon owners tend to think that their camera equipment is better than the competitors. Honestly I think Nikon Canon Pentax and Olympus all of them have excellent equipment today because of the competition. When the latest cameras came out this last Feb I was looking for a step up from the 350XT..say a 10 million pixel camera like the Nikon D200. It seems for now that Canon doesn't think its needed to compete with that Nikon model. I guess they believe that the 5D is the answer to entry pro model DSLR. At any rate I did find out from Daniel Walsh that he needed to upgrade his pc because his new 5D was too demanding on his old pc. That tells me that if you and I have a 6 to 8 million DSLR and some good software we will do fine for all the stuff we do with our photos. I haven't sold any billboard photos yet.
So do you feel you will be upgrading soon or stay with your present model for another year. I will be using mine for another couple years until Canon releases something a between the 350 XT and the 5D...I really liked that Canon 30D that had pizza buttons on it..LOL
Take Care
Paul
Old 03-28-2006, 07:21 AM
TE Senior Member

Hey Paul,
It's funny you mentioned the billboard thing. This guy who needs artwork for a lobby wants my "Arriving at Hurricane Ridge" shot. He just contacted me today via TE. What's funny is that he wants billboard-like size and he wants a print between 6 to 8 feet! I told him I wouldn't print it out anymore than 5 feet because it's only 2 shots in the panorama.

As far as what I might upgrade to, well I'm still happy with the D70 although the D200 has been tempting. I think the new lens will keep my NAS (Nikon acquisition syndrome) restrained hopefully for a few more months. I just the got D70 a year ago so it's really not that old. I know Nikon is working on the D80 with the D200's features in a more consumer friendly package and price. That might be worth waiting for.

Steve