Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Emiel_Skyfreak 2007-02-23 20:54

Well..no one critiqued it yet..to be honest, the quality is real crap..for a photo. As a painting it would be quite nice though..just my comment ofcourse.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Emiel_Skyfreak: Cruising......

Hi Emiel,

Well, there's no beating around the bush for you, you tell it like it is. But I can take it... and besides, you are essentially right. But I liked the feeling it gave of another time and place, back in the 20s and 30s, Great Gatsby and fast motorboats and all that. You know? OK, enough justifying.

However!, your comments got me to thinking ... should I try to enhance that older-time feel by making it a sepia or hand-painted colorizing of that period, something like what ktanska has done with his Gornergrat photo, and especially his WS of it? Maybe that would save it??? Something new to learn. :-)

Thank you for your honest critique.

Cheers, Jackie
Old 02-27-2007, 05:30 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To Emiel_Skyfreak: Cruising......

Hi Jackie..

Yeah..the name Great Gatsby reminds me of something..I can't figure out though, what it was again..

Hmm I don't get what you mean with ktanska's photo, I like the sepia version of that one more..I don't know how you could turn this photo in something like in his WS..I think it's not possible with this quality.
Anyhow, maybe a sepia version of your photo can be nice, you can also think of adding some noise..that also reminds of older times. Wouldn't hurt I think.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Emiel,

Well, since my first message to you, I have looked at my photo again, but this time on my brand new, much higher def computer, and must admit that your original comments on the picture are correct. It is a piece of crap, and I don't think any amount of PPing will salvage it at all.

But thanks for your most recent comments and suggestions re my trying to rescue the photo via sepia. I tried it and, of course given the photo's really poor quality, it didn't really help much. Maybe adding noise, as you suggest, or some other painting-type special effect might make it more like a painting, but that is not something for TE. I will probably end up pulling the photo out of TE.

Thanks again. It's been nice exchanging ideas with you.

Regards, Jackie

P.S. "Great Gatsby", novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, about the lives of the wealthy in NYC and Long Island in the 1920s. Lavish parties, fast motorboats, etc. etc.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:33 PM
TE Senior Member

Deleting the photo will also delete the idea's we shared and the critiques other gave on it I think..some piece of all learning on the site will disappear. Ofcourse it's your own choice to remove it.

Sometimes indeed, doing a sepia on a poor qual. picture will not improve it to. I think it can be harmed just to much.

I believe I've read that book, or atleast..told something about it in a paper when I was on high school.
Excuse my for late reply.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:58 PM
TE Junior Member

You are right, Emiel. The photo will stay. Have a good weekend.