Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macondo 2008-04-20 1:02

Hello David.
I'm with Kostas; I didn't at first realise this woman was not real! I think your composition has to be praised here, as well as your ability to see the potential in this shot. You're right about the almost 3d effect of the artwork, which is accentuated by the objects around it. Really a very pleasing photo with wonderful colours and nice displacement of objects within the frame.
Regards,
Andrew

Old 04-21-2008, 05:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To macondo: Honored by your comments

I am always honored to receive praise or comments from some of TE's finest photographers. I did feel that this photo was idfferent. Most of my photo's are busy, as the subject and context surrounding them are also almost always busy.

I will take time to view your works.

TE has allowed me something personal to do as I live alone in this foreign land (to me) of China. There is much to try and save here ( in image format) before it is gone to modernism and plastic. The transition from 1978, my first visit, to today 2008 has been unpredictable and has taken on a unique direction. Like evaporating water in a shallow pool on a hot summer's day, China's past of so many centuries will soon be gone.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 AM

Default Re: To macondo: Honored by your comments

Thanks for your reply David, and interesting comments about China. I have not visited China, but am presently watching old borrowed tapes of a wonderful documentary series (British, made for National Geographic) called 'Beyond the Clouds', made about 13 years ago and set in a town in central China in Yunnan province. You can read about it here:
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117909210.html?categoryid=32&cs=1
It's a masterpiece, but I'm pretty sure it has never been released on disc.
Anyway, it shows a largely traditional urban way of life, only slowly being altered by modern trends. No doubt that process has speeded up considerably in the last few years. I have the impression the Chinese will become consumers par excellence whenever and however given the chance. I wonder if the collective folk memory will fade away completely one day.
I'll keep a lookout for more of your photos.
Regards,
Andrew
Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To macondo: China of Today

I was in China at the time of this documentary. I visited Yunnan briefly. I was not photo wise then. My mission was to teach the first foreign MBA course in China and set up a major education upgrade. I look back and think that I may have contributed to China's transition, not in such a positive way anthropologically. We managed to teach over 3000 key leaders strategic western business thought. The program still exists and is the longest and most liked ... I now would prefer to teach Chinese cultural history now, one I degreed in some time back, it is not of much importance here. But I don't get to teach much ... I build universities and upgrade them with high tech tools and content - I now search on the weekends, when I have one, and try and capture what to my eye seems non-western, a vanishing mist of China that once was.