Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Longroute 2008-06-24 11:57

Hello Lasse,

another beautiful corner of this park. The colours are so beautiful and seems perfectly natural, yet I read you chaged them a bit... a good job!
Can I ask you: what is "clarity"? perhaps is what I call to lighten the shadows? Or is more general brilliance?
Ciao,
Donato

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Longroute: clarity

Ciao Donato,
Thanks for your appreciation.
"Clarity" is one setting in Adobe Raw Converter version 4.3. I found an explanation according to which it affects the local contrast. I do not know exactly what it means, but it is much more "softer" a setting than "Contrast" setting. You can see that it changes the histogram way less than the contrast setting. It does what it says, i.e. it makes the photo to look more clear or "brilliant". There is also a setting "Vibrance", but I hardly ever use it. Instead I use Photoshop saturation and contrast settings.
I have heard from some photographers that they do practically all post processing in the raw concverter and in PS only sharpening. I'm not that far yet. I have some experience based feeling how far I can go in Photoshop settings without spoling the image, but because the raw converter tools are different, I have not yet a touch on their effect in each case.
Good night,
Lasse
Old 06-25-2008, 09:25 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Longroute: clarity

Ciao Lasse,

really thank you for your explanations: in my darkness I'm starting to see a light!
As I think I told you I have PS Elements, which is a "reduced" version of PS, so non all the function are present. I wanted to work with raw files but my first attempt was unsuccesful and I gave it up. So now I wanted to chep it up and opened a raw file with PS Elements. It came out a new window, completely different from the other (this one is white, the other is black) but there is no name on it, I presume it could be a kind of Adobe raw converter. anyway there I found "clarity" toghether with other function you mention!
So my question now is: your raw converter is an part programme or it's part of PS? And when you have modified the photo, what do you do? Save it like Tiff or like jpg?

I hope not to disturb you,
Thank you anyway,
Donato
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
TE Senior Member

Ciao Donato,
You are not disturbing me at all. :-)
I will send you a separate e-mail to your yahoo account, maybe with some attachments,
which are not possible in these TE messages.
BR
Lasse
Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Sorry, I did not mean yahoo, but your tiscali.it account. ;-)