Colour Management: Spyder3Pro & Canon DPP & Photoshop CS2

• Hello,

I wonder if someone could please offer me some advise?! I have just reformatted my computer and have forgotten the steps I took previously to colour manage my system.

I have calibrated my monitor using Datacolor's Spyder3Pro and have saved the resulting monitor profile. I use Canon's DPP to convert my RAW files to TIF before editing in CS2 and saving as jpg for web (and print at the online store I use).

In DPP:
    I use a Canon 20D set to the SRGB color space. In DPP under the Preferences>Color Management tab I have the 'Default settings of the Work color space' set to sRGB. Under 'Color matching settings' I have selected the monitor profile I saved as above. I think this is right so far... can anyone confirm this for me?

In CS2:
    This is where the confusion sets in! In the color settings tab, should I change the RGB Working Space to the monitor profile? The default is North America General Purpose and RGB = sRGB IEC61966-2.1

I can't remember (or fully understand!) if I should change this to my saved monitor profile?

If anyone could offer some advise, or confirm my settings I would be very grateful.

Many thanks, Casper
  • Re: Colour Management: Spyder3, Canon DPP,Photoshop CS2
    Hi,

If I understand well, it seems you mismatch different color profile.
    The one generated by the Spyder3 is only to make sure that the colors diplaied by the monitor are the right one. They are loaded at the start of the computer inside the graphic board. This .icc file doing the correction is only for this purpose.

On the other hand, you have to make sure that the color space are the same between your digital camera and the software you are using. It is the selection of this color space (also called GAMMUT) which can be srgb or adobeRGB.

This 2 think are totally differents and not linked. Normally, you have not to use the monitor profile in the photo software, unless you have a very particular management versus the graphical board inside your PC.

Yves.
  • Re: Colour Management: Spyder3, Canon DPP,Photoshop CS2
    Thanks Yves - that makes sense to me now.

I also found this document, Canon digital color managment guide, which might be of interest to others.

Thanks again, Casper