Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great InasiaJones 2011-05-13 8:26

Hi Benny,

Your photo makes me think about one of Woody Allen movies called Mighty Aphrodite.

You might have shoot under different conditions before taking this photo, as your ISO were boosted to 800, while your exposure time is at 1/4000 seconds. The consequences aren't dramatic, but you might have a little bit more noise than necessary, as there was sufficient light to shoot at ISO 100 with the same aperture, or to open at f/11 at ISO 200 without problems.

Your point of view brings a sense of height and offers us the view that the most elevated spectators would have. You also took care to select the part of the scene where light is plenty, avoiding to include too much shadow that would have lessen the interest of your image. By placing yourself at this angle, instead of being full frontal, there is a sense of diagonal that offers more dynamic in your presentation.

Well done!

Have a good weekend!

André

Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 AM
TE Expert

Thumbs up To InasiaJones: settings

Thanks, André, for another very useful critique.

I tend to shoot semi-automatic with only the exposure on manual. This I tend to jam down, as I like the deeper, darker colours. I also like my picture to have a hint of darkness, even the sunny summery ones. The bit of grain that usually goes with it, I don't mind at all.

Your comment, however, to me now seems to suggest it's about time I'd move "to the next level" and go for fully manual. What makes me hesitate, is that it will take some time to get used to and that this will slow me down, probably much to the annoyment of my travelling partner...... Plus: I'm actually quite pleased with my semi-automatic shots, even though I do know these settings are a bit unusual. Or maybe I'm just too easily pleased, I don't know...

Anyway - as I wrote - it's time to move to fully manual and I guess it's time to experiment at home first, before our next big trip comes along.

Thanks for the reminder!

Benny
Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 PM
TE Expert

Hi Benny,

I very rarely shoot in full manual mode myself, but rather aperture priority, as it is the key factors to control the effect I want to achieve. I'm always shoot on the smallest ISO possible and let the camera decide about the speed. If I get under 1/60 of a second, than I crank up my ISO a bit to 200 or higher, but I try to avoid being over 400 (unless I'm on a tripod, and on this circumstance, I always shoot at ISO 100 and use bulb mode if I need more than 30 seconds of exposure).

So on this particular photo, by setting your camera on 100 ISO and choosing aperture priority, you could have decided to open at f/8 and your camera would have gave you something around 1/200 sec, instead of 1/4000.

My comments was mostly concerning the extreme high ISO you have been using in full day light, which wasn't necessary.

The people I know who are shooting in full manual mode are missing their shots 3 times out of 4... (some top photographers from TE I've met and professionals as well, but won't give names... :-p)) There's no points to try to guess, when your camera has all the features to do it perfectly, or at least, more accurately than most of us can do. With the proper metering mode, your camera will usually be spot on; only in tricky light situation can it go wrong, like shooting in direction of the sun or during sunset and sunrise, but this is the exception.

Cheers!

Last edited by InasiaJones; 05-15-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 AM
TE Expert

thanks for your reply!

B