Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2015-12-04 7:23

Hello Bülent,
Poor children, being dragged to exhibitions all their lives....
Just joking, their sensibilities and understanding of the world could only benefit from being exposed to so much art ever since small childhood. While this photo is not entirely perfect I like it very much for the illusion that the modern children are standing in the same room as the painted persons. The sign above describes the show but could also illustrate the class distinctions between modern people and those from hundreds of years ago.
"The age of..." seems to indicate that Rembrandt and Vermeer were not personally represented here.
Kind regards,
Gert

Old 12-04-2015, 03:15 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Being dragged to the gallery

Hello Gert,

Your note certainly brought up points that are close to my heart. There were only two Vermeers (he painted only 34 his entire life, and 31 have survived), and, of course, Rembrandt painted 800-900, and most have survived. But theirs were the iconic names. Among the two works by Vermeer was the The Woman Writing, on loan from the National Gallery in Washington, DC. The other Vermeer was "The Astronomer," on loan from the Louvre.

The children are two of my six grandchildren, and you can see how they've grown by looking at the other two images for which I gave a link. I used to love "to drag" my son and daughter to galleries, and it has paid off, with them dragging their children. In the note to the exhibition, the curator noted that what gave her the idea for this collection was the protest in New York against Wall Street.

I had much better quality photos, but I didn't think they captured the theme, "Visitors at the Art Gallery" quite as well as this one.

Have a good weekend,

Bulent