Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2020-12-09 6:47

Hello Brenda,

This must have been a great disappointment to the people of N.Y! I know that most of the Christmas Markets and the food markets have been cancelled in the U.K., which have become so much a part of the build up to Christmas!
I wonder, Brenda, how do they operate this? Are customers given a number, like when you go out with a boat, and when that number is called, the participants have to leave and new ones take their place?
When I went to our local card shop, this week, I had to queue outside, as only four people were allowed in at any time!

This is a lovely photograph, under a beautiful, ambient light. The tall buildings with many windows, surrounding the ice rink, seem like an audience, in a rising seating area, enjoying what is happening below.
It would seem that skaters are encouraged to skate in one direction, so there will be no close collisions!

Thank you for sharing this,
Bev :-)

Old 12-09-2020, 04:30 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: Skating

Hello Bev,

This year, the skaters have to reserve a time to skate, and then once they're on the ice they get a set amount of time. This ensures that only a limited number of people will be on the ice at one time. While I was there, I heard the announcement that one of the sessions was ending, and for all skaters to leave the ice.

There is also a similar system currently set up to view the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center! This year you can't simply walk by and take a photo. You must queue up at a certain time, and then you get only five minutes to take photos! Streets leading up to the tree are blocked off, too, so you must follow the designated entry points and reserved time slots to get a glimpse. I hope I get to take a photo, (I've done so every year for decades), but it really depends on how long the wait time is, and how many people are there. I don't want to get caught in a crowd, especially with any maskless people...

Take care, and enjoy this unusual holiday season!
Brenda