Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2021-11-26 6:18

Hello Chris,
Among my souvenirs I have a Turkish bank note of 5 million lira. I don't remember what it could buy me, maybe a beer, maybe actually a bit more, but in that perspective 37 TL sounds cheap.
It's a strange pool, and looking at the crowd I would probably also have saved swimming to somewhere else. The colours seem a bit strong. Maybe there is slightly too much yellow?
Regards,
Gert

Old 11-26-2021, 01:29 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Algae

Hi Gert

The yellow plants growing in the heated spa water are algae. It also grows in New Zealand thermal pools and I'd imagine Yellowstone and Iceland as well. 37 lira in 2013 was about $19 Au, or $14 USD. The exchange rate today is far worse, thanks to Erdogan's mismanagement of the economy. One lira is now worth just 8 cents USD. In 2013 it was worth 33 cents USD. I was warned not to submerge my head in the thermal pools in NZ because of a dangerous amoeba that thrives in the geothermal pools.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:56 PM
TE Expert

Hi Chris,
I was a bit ironic when I said that 37 TL sounded cheap. I remember when they scrapped 6 zeros in the early 2000's to make 1 million old Lira equivalent to 1 new Lira. Suddenly the Lira became a normal currency again.
Regards,
Gert