Photographer's Note

The photo shows part of the showers used by the coal miners in the now abandoned mine of Beringen, Belgium.

The coal mine of Beringen was one of seven mines in the Belgian province of Limburg.
The construction of the mine shafts started in 1907 but was interrupted by the first world war.
Coal was delved from 1922 unwards from depths reaching 850m. The mine employed a maximum of 6796 miners in 1948 and reached a maximum capacity of 886.000 tons per year. Total production was 79.332.200 ton.

The mine was closed in 1989 but many of the above ground installations were preserved as the Flemish Mine Museum.

abmdsudi, Cretense, magalik ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 4683
Points: 26
  • None
Additional Photos by Paul Bulteel (pauloog) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1393 W: 77 N: 1882] (11751)
View More Pictures