Photographer's Note

DVIGRAD is the name of this sad but proud ruins. It was a town once. Year 1354. admiral Paganin Doria from Genova destroyed the Dvigrad. After rebuilding the town was destroyed once again but this time by the Venetians who burnt it, slaughtered its population and took the relics from the basilica of St. Sophia to Sveti Lovrec Pazenatički.About the year 1630 the town was completely deserted.
In 1650 bishop Tommasini visited Dvigrad, finding only three families there. When the church of St. Sophia got abandoned in 1714, the town was left to its inexorable fate. The house walls crumpled, the town walls collapsed, the well was polluted. Snakes, weeds and underbrush moved into the town. It has remained so until today.

robiuk, marjan, jarkko, Karitsiotis, tsvetanar ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2318
Points: 17
Additional Photos by Carmela Zmiric (Carma) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 397 W: 229 N: 259] (2440)
View More Pictures