Photographer's Note

Sibenik (Croatian; ©ibenik, Italian; Sebenico) - historic town in Central Dalmatia, situated on the mouth of the river Krka flows into the Adriatic Sea.

For the first time Sibenik name appears in the statute in 1066 the Croatian king Petar Kresimir IV. In contrast to other cities in Dalmatia, founded by the Illyrians, Greeks and Romans, is the oldest Croatian town on the eastern ancestral Adriatic coast. Sibenik was chartered in 1298.

The city, like the rest of Dalmatia, based in Venice to 1412. The Ottoman Empire started to threaten the city at the end of the fifteenth century, but it never took. In the sixteenth century, St. Nicholas Fortress was built, and in the seventeenth century by building reinforced defense fortress city of Saint John and ©ubićevac.

After the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797 the city was under the control of the Habsburg Monarchy. In 1877 the first railway connection in the former Dalmatian - the country of the Crown of Austria. After World War I was a part of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, and during World War II was under the occupation of fascist Italy and Germany. After the war he became part of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, from Croatia's secession from Yugoslavia in 1991, is located on its territory.

Today Sibenik vibrant artistic and cultural life. Every year there is International Children's Festival (Međunarodni Dječji Festival).

The most important church in Sibenik is St. James Cathedral is a listed World Heritage Site. Built by several architects in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries combines elements of Gothic and Renaissance styles. It is remarkable due to the architecture (as a whole is built of stone, without the use of any other material) and 71 realistic reliefs on the apses.

Fortress of St. Nicholas is located at the entrance to the St. Ante channel and was built in the mid-sixteenth century to defend against Turkish attacks from the sea side. Fortress of St. Nicholas is one of the strongest fortifications on the Croatian coast.

Rectors Palace is located on the coast in the old city center. Preserved are the two wings of this once much larger building in which he resided and officiated the highest representative of Venetian power in society - city rector. In 1975 he completed the adaptation of the Rectors Palace to the Municipal Museum of Sibenik.

This is a scan from negative.

krzychu30, PaulVDV, NickVu ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 1079
Points: 10
  • None
Additional Photos by Jozef Zbigniew Napora (raszid62) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1797 W: 41 N: 3315] (18457)
  • Primorsko-Goranska photo
  • Primorsko-Goranska photo
  • Primorsko-Goranska photo
View More Pictures