Foto

Photographer's Note

Click here to read the beginning of the history of Dinan

In 1357, during the war of succession to the Duchy of Brittany, Bertrand du Guesclin successfully defended the city besieged by British troops and Brittany faithful to Jean de Montfort. He faces Thomas Cantorbery2 single combat and as the winner. In 1364, after several attempts infructeuses, Duke John IV manages to regain control of the city and built the dungeon called "the Duchess Anne. The fortifications of the city are being upgraded in the second half of the fifteenth century with the addition of several rounds of artillery. The guns will benefit not only the governor of the city makes the keys in the king's representative in France after the Battle of Saint-Aubin du Cormier in 1488. Like all other towns in Brittany, Dinan is permanently attached to the Kingdom of France in August 1532.
The city continues to prosper, with a craft sustained intramural and the presence of the port on the Rance, which promotes trade. Dinan control because the waterway for transporting goods to St. Malo. In 1598, Dinan chooses the camp of the new King of France, Henry IV, against the governor, the Duke de Mercosur, which opposes the wars in the League. It is from this period that the fortifications lost their defensive purpose and are no longer maintained. In the seventeenth century, other religious orders are implementing new convents Capuchins, Ursulines, Benedictines, Dominicans, Clares addition to the Jacobins and Cordeliers. Dinan is cited for having participated in the revolt of the stamped paper occurred in 1675.
In the eighteenth century, commercial activity is stimulated by the installation of many weavers, who produce such things as paintings used to sail ships, sent to Saint-Malo, the Rance valley. Under the leadership of a middle class develops, various measures are taken against unsafe prevailing in the city, alongside its development extramural.
In the nineteenth century, the port gradually lost its importance with the construction of a road bridge which opened up the city in 1852, and with the arrival of the railway in 1879. The city sees the building of many impressive homes and gradually transformed into destination resorts, especially popular with the British.
Despite a fire in 1907 destroyed five houses in timber, and a bombing in August 1944, the city remained presqu'intacte since the beginning of the twentieth century. On the night of 6 to 7 June 2007, a small portion of the wall surrounding the city collapsed and require further consolidation work.
Today, the city has largely restored its heritage. Timbered houses still lining up Cordeliers, rue de l'Horloge, the famous street of Jerzual and other paved surfaces of the center. The church Saint-Sauveur and Saint-Malo rise amid the old parishes of the city.
Very touristy, the town was the setting in several scenes of the film Armageddon Michael Bay (1998), during the passage of the asteroid over the France just before it crashed in Paris.
Dinan beyond today's walls and extends to common Léhon, Quévert, and Taden Lanvallay.
( Wikipedia)

Theme : Dinan

ikeharel, Budapestman, bhaskarc ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2405
Points: 10
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Valerie Leconte (Leconte) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 716 W: 58 N: 1031] (5795)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH