Photographer's Note

Iviron Monastery, has existed since 8th century as a small monastic complex, named "Klementos" (Clement's) and dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
In 980 it was enlarged and fortified by some Georgian monks (some noblemen and a general among them, before receiving monastic habit). From them (a part of Georgia was called "Iberia" in Byzantine era) took its new name in 1016. A new big church was built between 980 and 984 and dedicated to Mother of God, celebrating her Dormition in August 28th. (This feast attracts more than a thousand pilgrims.)
Since 1356 it has been administrated by its Greek monks, who by that time (the Georgian ones disappeared in 16th century) had been more than the Georgians. After some more enlargments and restoration, it is the third in size and hierarchical order among Athonite Monasteries nowdays. Its protector is the famous icon of Panagia Portaitissa (of the gate).
Photo processed in Photoshop

Nobody ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 1717
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Theologos Tats (thiv56) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 148 W: 50 N: 261] (1628)
View More Pictures