Photographer's Note

On the western edge of the stone forest is the beginning of organized monasticism Meteora.
The Monastery of the Transfiguration of Jesus prevailed to say "Great Meteoro, not only because of the extent of 50 acres and the size of the buildings but also because of his intellectual radiation and enjoyed primacy in the mid-16th century.
The monastery is perched on the tall and imposing rock with an altitude of 613m. from the sea and 416 from the bed of the river Pinios
The monk Athanasios Athonite askitepse initially for ten years on a rock in "Style of drops. It was first climbed in Platis stone, with escorts fourteen monks.
Holes carved in the steep rock punching beams, scaffolding and have managed to get there which until then only the birds could climb on top of rock.
There Athanasios the Meteorite, between earth and sky, the edge of a vertical cliff, the monastery built around 1340 AD and organized the first systematic monastic community and built the temple of the Mother of God.
Later he built another temple to honor metamorfothentos Savior Jesus Christ, who was the Catholic Monastery and took until today the name of "Transfiguration".
Athanasios was not alone in this endeavor. With him was Father Ioasaf, the second founder of the monastery which was none other than the Greek-Serbian king John Urine Angelos Komnenos Doukas Palaiologos financially supported the monastery.
In the old days access to the monastery was to ladders and the Tower (in 1520), dominated the balcony with the Nets, who use even today to carry things and when elders when pilgrims. Until 1923, the ascent was by ladders and nets.
Today the ascent is a staircase which numbers 146 and irregular steep stairs that lead to the entrance of the monastery.
The first small building that we find in the rock, left of the stairs is the hermitage of the founder of the monastery. Entering the main entrance on the right we see the old winch.
The view at the base of the cliff is breathtaking. Walking up the stairs, seeing the sacristy, the old cook and the cellar.
Arriving on seeing the glorious structure of the monastery, the imposing Catholic, 32 m in length and width of 24 m.
The Church, a cruciform with a dome and lateral dodekaplefro niches following the architectural Athonic type, built in 1544-45 AD.
The Catholic divided into exonarthex, narthex, nave and sanctuary. The nave was painted in 1552 for Abbot Simeon is one of the brightest sets of post-Byzantine wall-painting.
The sanctuary which was the first Catholic Monastery was built before 1380 AD. the founder of the Monastery of Saint Athanasius who died in the year 1380 and was succeeded by his holy Ioasaf. Our church celebrates them both on 20 April.
The Saint Ioasaf completed and frescoed in 1484 AD the Catholic monastery of the main temple is bright and full of icons. The temple is carved and gilded. Constructed in 1617 AD and includes performances by the plant and animal kingdom.
The images of the temple belong to different times and are important for art and their age. Great work xyloglytikis Episcopal Throne is done in 1617 AD. It is wooden and has representation from the vegetable kingdom. Both desks are wooden with various designs of marble and ivory. The old wooden shrine of the nave has several performances by flowers and built on Abbot Partheniou Orfidou.
The Big 3 Meteoro no smaller temples:
John the Baptist.
All Saints Constantine and Helen. Built in 1789 and aisle basilica with a polygonal dome.
Agios Athanasios.
The big bank length of 32 m, the monks' eating area, has now turned into a museum with interesting exhibits.
The library saved priceless treasures:
Manuscripts, documents, Byzantine and post-Byzantine.
Manuscripts intellectual output of the 9th - 19th century.
Liturgical books, patristic writings, hymnography, proportionately, rare documents and incunabula, the total number of which are 450 volumes of 15th-19th century.
Collection of music manuscripts and legal texts and ancient writers (Homer, Sophocles, Demosthenes, Hesiod, Aristotle, Alexandrian writers).
It is one of the richest monastic libraries. It ran well seminal workshop during the 16th - 17th century.
Rich is the collection of gold-embroidered cloth which is kept in the museum:
Altar, gold-embroidered apron, crosses, embroidered epitrachilia, embroidered Epitaphs.
We stand on the Saints Cares takers kept in silver and decorated reliquaries.
Before leaving, deserves our tour in the courtyards of the monastery where he can admire a wonderful view over the river and Pinios Mount Koziakas.
The monks follow strict regulations and gather at the church 4 times a day, worship 6 hours daily.
The exercise of the above the monastic life that is true to the dictates of the Holy Fathers and the Orthodox Church is our primary concern of the monks.
There is both social activity and spiritual support for pilgrims, which derive from the miraculous result of our Saints.
Great is the offering of the monastery in the nation, our education and culture. Over six hundred and fourteen years a vibrant monastic community, a bastion of true Christianity and the traditions of Hellenism.
The monks dedicated to Christ, carrying in their hearts and prayer on their backs building materials renovated, restored and maintain the monastery bringing out the mystic beauty, so that year after year, pilgrims and tourists to remain amazed by the tremendous work possible.
It is a place worth a go, to admire all this.
I believe it would not bore you with all of these writings.

Vasa, DRAKOLIMNH, ngk, ecanaveira, photoray, baddori ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 3049
Points: 34
Additional Photos by Dimitris Kastanaras (kastanaras) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 79 W: 0 N: 174] (1160)
View More Pictures