Photographer's Note

Holy Monastery of Varlaam as seen from Great Meteoron.

Varlaam Monastery, one of the monasteries of the Meteora, is named for the monk who first built a tiny chapel on this rocky promontory in the 14th century.

In the 16th century, two brothers from the monastery at Ioannina enlarged the chapel and founded the monastery. According to legend, they had to drive away the monster who lived in a cave on the summit before they could move in.

Today, Varlaam Monastery can be accessed by a narrow bridge that runs from the main road on the Meteora. Varlaam Monastery's most pleasant features are the garden and the monk who sometimes sits there and chats with visitors. The old refectory is now a museum.

Varlaam contains frescoes by the well-known iconographer Frangos Katelanos and houses a collection of relics, carved wooden crosses, icons, embroidered epitaphoi and many other eccelesiastical treasures.

North of the church is the "Parekklesion of the Three" (dedicated to the Three Bishops: St. Basil the Great, St. Gregory the Theologian, and St. John Chrysostom), which was built in 1627 and decorated in 1637.
info from

Giorgos_P, kpav, jimkok77, Budapestman, qengji, thiv56, Xalkida ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 5056
Points: 28
  • None
Additional Photos by Chris Kontokostas (chrkont) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 352 W: 282 N: 792] (4005)
View More Pictures