Photographer's Note

In 1088, a soldier monk named Christodoulos supported by Byzantine emperor Alexius Komnenus, started building a monastery on the hill overlooking the harbour of Patmos. He built it upon the ruins of a temple dedicated to Artemis, in the name of John the Divine (Theologian), one of Christ's disciples who, while exiled on the island (94-96 A.D.), envisaged and composed the Revelation (Apocalypse).
The monastery was heavily fortified for defence against pirate attacks.
In the 16th and 17th centuries the island of Patmos knew great economic prosperity as many of its inhabitants had become successful seamen, shipowners and merchants. They built impressive houses and mansions and gave Chora the form it retains until our days.
The Monastery and Chora have been declared World Heritage monuments by UNESCO.
Happy Easter to Orthodox friends, health, love and hope to everyone!

Photo Information
Viewed: 5881
Points: 72
  • None
Additional Photos by Ourania Karali (ourania) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 4869 W: 13 N: 10027] (51103)
View More Pictures