Foto

Photographer's Note

Celebrities' sculptures in the old town - Ányos Jedlik and his cousin Gergely Czuczor in Győr

Ányos Jedlik (January 11, 1800 – December 13, 1895) was a Hungarian inventor, engineer, physicist, Benedictine priest, member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and author of several books. He is considered by Hungarians and Slovaks to be the unsung father of the dynamo and electric motor. Today he is the pride of both the Slovak and Hungarian nations.

He was born in a Hungarian village Szimő, Kingdom of Hungary, (today Zemné, Slovakia).
Jedlik's education began at high schools in Nagyszombat (today Trnava) and Pozsony (today Bratislava). In 1817 he became a Benedictine and from that time continued his studies at the schools of that order. He lectured at Benedictine schools up to 1839, then for 40 years at the Budapest University of Sciences department of physics-mechanics.
In 1845 he began teaching his pupils in Hungarian instead of Latin. His cousin Gergely Czuczor (famous Hungarian linguist) asked him to create the first Hungarian vocabulary in physics. Through his textbook he is regarded as one of the establishers of Hungarian vocabulary in physics.
He preceded his contemporaries in his scientific work, but he did not speak about his most important invention, his prototype dynamo, until 1856; it was not until 1861 that he mentioned it in writing in a list of inventory of the university. Although that document might serve as a proof of Jedlik's status as the originator, the invention of the dynamo is linked to Siemens' name because Jedlik's invention did not rise to notice at that time.
In 1827, he started experimenting with electromagnetic rotating devices which he called lightning-magnetic self-rotor. In the prototype both the stationary and the revolving parts were electromagnetic. In 1873 at the World's Fair in Vienna he demonstrated his lighting conductor.
After his retirement he continued working and spent his last years in complete seclusion at the priory in Győr, the Kingdom of Hungary, Austria-Hungary where he died.

Győr

Győr is the most important city of northwest Hungary, the capital of Győr-Moson-Sopron county, and lies on one of the important roads of Central Europe, halfway between Budapest and Vienna. The city is the sixth largest in Hungary, and one of the seven main regional centres of the country.
Győr is particularly rich in ecclesiastical heritage. The episcopal cathedral holds one of the most valuable examples of goldsmith's work, the St Ladislaus herm that was made in the 15th century for the relics of King Ladislaus I. The sarcophagus of beatified martyr bishop Vilmos Apor (1892-1945) is also found in the cathedral. The treasury of the basilica keeps numerous values and its fine art collections are particularly valuable.
There are permanent exhibitions of the work of one of the most significant ceramists of the 20th century, Győr-born Margit Kovács (1902-1977), and of outstanding Hungarian sculptor of the 20th century, Miklós Borsos (1906-1990) who studied in the Benedictine grammar school. Natural scientist, traveller and ethnographer János Xantus (1825-1894) after whom the city museum and zoo were named also attended school here.
The thermal baths and aquapark provide the residents and visitors alike with an opportunity for rejuvenation and there are numerous possibilities for outings and walks. (Source: Vendégváró & Wikipedia)

Buin, jlbrthnn, saxo042, asajernigan, vasilpro, ChrisJ ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2666
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH