Photographer's Note

The last photos of Monticchiello.

The Provost Church, originally dedicated to Saint Leonard of Limoges, is sited at the highest point of the inhabited area on sharply sloping land. It was built in the second half of the thirteenth century, at a time when the Commune of Monticchiello was expanding (well over 1,000 inhabitants, as opposed to today’s 200). Its architecture represents a transition between Romanesque and Gothic.

The plan of the church is T-shaped, with a rectangular apse flanked by two similarly-shaped chapels. This is a typical design of Burgundy-style Romanesque-Gothic as introduced into Italy by the Cistercian order of monks.

The interior was re-structured in the eighteenth century. The walls were whitewashed, covering over numerous fresco paintings of the fourteenth-century Sienese school.
The artistic importance of this church led to its restoration in 1933 by the Superintendency for Tuscan Monuments, which stripped it of some of its Baroque additions. The whitewash was chipped away, revealing some wonderful frescoes, some of them complete and others only fragmentary.

See the frescoes in two Workshops.

holmertz, pierrefonds, ikeharel, jean113, jhm, COSTANTINO, papagolf21 ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 28
  • None
Additional Photos by Malgorzata Kopczynska (emka) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 12632 W: 133 N: 32616] (150009)
View More Pictures