Photographer's Note

The Wawel Hill - the castle, the cathedral and the residence of Polish Kings (X c. - XVII c.). The first settlement, the Wiślan, on the Wawel hill dates back to the VII c. In X c., several bishops of the early Christian church resided here and a Pre- Roman church, The Church of Our Lady Mary, was constructed. At the beginning of the XI c., a Roman-Gothic castle and cathedral were built. Reconstruction of the buildings was carried out under king Alexander Jagiellończyk at the beginning of the XVI c., with a number of chapels being added to the cathedral. In the crypt of the cathedral are the royal tombs from this bygone era. The castle was reconstructed again during the reign of King Sigmund Stary, 1517-1533 and the Renaissance arches and arcades were created in the courtyard. The state rooms around the courtyard and the arcades have come down to our present time almost untouched. By 1611 the Wawel was no longer considered the official residence of Polish Kings and Krakow lost its rights to being called the capital city of Poland.
(Source: The Visitor Malopolska)

Photo Information
Viewed: 1893
Points: 42
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures