Photographer's Note

Fortress São João das Maias is located in Oeiras. It was built in 1644 during the reign of King John 4th (1640-1656) to reinforce the Lisbon line of defence and prevent attacks coming from the Atlantic Ocean. The structure was greatly damaged during the earthquake of 1755, but was restored by 1759. It had been originally designed to hold 5 pieces of artillery in the 17th Century. By 1833 had the capacity to use 17 large cannons. It has been restored in recent times and can be easily seen from the footpath along the beach.

pajaran, mozzy27, Bluejeans, wgreis, adores, josepmarin, Charo, Lidka ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 5127
Points: 60
  • None
Additional Photos by Antonio Ribeiro (ribeiroantonio) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 4685 W: 455 N: 6473] (22730)
View More Pictures