Photographer's Note
Lelic is one of the later monasteries of the Serbian Orthodox Church. It is the endowment of St Episcope Nikolaj Velimirovic and his father Dragomir. The Moravska style of architecture and contemporary styles have been fit together in a harmonious whole, shaped in the church dedicated to St Nicholas. This temple in the village of Lelic was completed in 1929, and was later turned into a monastery.
The temple was painted immediately after the rood had been raised, by episcope Nikolajís friends Krsta and Rafailo Nikolic from Macedonia. Standing out is the northern wall of the church, which is covered entirely by the depiction of the Judgment. The iconostasis is a work of the same authors.

The mortal remains of episcope Nikolaj were transferred to this church from the St Sava monastery in Libertyville, Illinois, on May 12, 1992. He was an extraordinary spiritual guide, writer, diplomat, speaker. His works have been translated to many languages. Along with the first Serbian arch-episcope St Sava and St Justin Celijski, episcope Nikolaj is one of the pillars of the Serbian Orthodox Church. The monastery has a museum which displays the life and deeds of this great man and priest. Standing in the churchyard is a nice chapel, also erected by episcope Nikolaj. The monks keep beehives, so one can buy honey of superb quality. The yard and dormitories are well maintained, while the fraternity is very hospitable.

The monastery of Lelic is located in the village of the same name, distanced 11km from Valjevo.

pajaran, PaulVDV, adores ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 1888
Points: 8
  • None
Additional Photos by Cosmin Nicu (ncosmin) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 79 W: 15 N: 146] (1191)
View More Pictures