Foto

Photographer's Note

El cabo de Gata es un cabo localizado en el sur de la península Ibérica, frente al mar Mediterráneo, perteneciente al municipio de Níjar, en la provincia de Almería, España.

Ptolomeo se refiere al cabo de Gata como Charidemou Acra, que significa “promontorio de las cornalinas”, lugar conocido por los navegantes griegos y fenicios que pugnaron por su control.

Con posterioridad, Aviano, en su Ora maritima se refiere a él como Iugum Veneris (Cabo de Venus), en referencia a la diosa de origen tartesio que los romanos identificaron con Afrodita. Para venerarla levantaron un templo en el Cerro de la Testa.

La abundancia de ágatas en el terreno, que había dado lugar al nombre fenicio, hizo retomarlo durante la Edad Media, siendo conocido como Cabo de las Ágatas. Por contracción fonética, acabó imponiéndose el que es empleado en la actualidad.

En 1863 fue construido el faro del cabo de Gata, de 18 metros de altura, con destellos cada 30 segundos a más de 50 metros sobre el nivel del mar, donde se puede observar desde 30 millas de distancia. En el siglo XX se acompañó con la casa del faro y otras instalaciones a su alrededor.

Este faro fue construido sobre el castillo de san Francisco de Paula (1738), que más tarde fue desartillado por la guerra de la independencia de España.

Dos WS
-----------------------------------------
Gata Cape is a cape located in the south of the Iberian Peninsula, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, in the municipality of Níjar in the province of Almeria, Spain.

Ptolemy refers to the Cabo de Gata and Charidemou Acra, which means "hill of the cornelian", a place known by the Greek and Phoenician sailors fighting for their control.

Subsequently, Aviano, in his Ora Maritima refers to him as Iugum Veneris (Cabo de Venus), referring to the goddess of the Romans Tartessian origin identified with Aphrodite. Erected a temple to worship in the Cerro de la Testa.

The abundance of agates in the field, which had led to the Phoenician name, was revived during the Middle Ages, being known as Cape of Agates. Phonetic contraction, before winning the one who is currently employed.

In 1863 was built the lighthouse at Cape de Gata, 18 meters high, with flashes every 30 seconds over 50 meters above sea level, which can be seen from 30 miles away. In the twentieth century was accompanied by the house of the lighthouse and other facilities around.

This lighthouse was built on the castle of St. Francis of Paula (1738), which was later desartillado by the war of independence from Spain.

Two WS

kato, bema, Kofman, jlbrthnn, jhm, photoray, emilbo, Bluejeans ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 3282
Points: 28
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Charo Parras (Charo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 5063 W: 58 N: 12115] (51290)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH