Foto

Photographer's Note

Built by the Almoravids in the ninth century at 438 meters high, it was Arab until in 1263 Sancho II of Portugal conquered it and was completely rebuilt in 1293 by Sancho IV going to the crown of Castile. It had great importance as a border defense belonging to the so-called Leonese Galician band.

A first belt of defense constituted the castles of Aroche, Encinasola and Fregenal, and already, in a second belt, were those of Cortegana, Torres and Cumbres. Greater.

The castle of Aroche was one of those built by the Council of Seville using the authorization granted by Sancho IV in 1293. Located on the highest part of the hill that serves as a seat to the town of Aroche. Towards the Southwest the access to the castle was located, conserving a pointed horseshoe arch and framed in an alfiz. However, from the 18th century onwards, you enter through the Southeast, through the popular Calle del Castillo.

The castle is cited as property of the city of Seville in the "Ordination for Good Government" given by Alfonso XI in 1344. Testimonial property that, interestingly, is currently maintained, because when the province of Huelva was created, Seville ceded the territory, but not the same strength happened with the castles of Cortegana, Encinasola, Almonaster la Real, Cumbres Mayores and in Seville Alcala de Guadaira.

Its enclosure is 98 meters long in the Southeast-Northwest direction.

Its plant is a right triangle with the hypotenuse in a curved shape. It is flanked by ten square towers 4 to 5 meters outside the wall: the largest are in the three corners of the enclosure. The towers are devoid of chambers, except for the west and the one on the left of the main access, which are covered with barrel vaults; It also has a round walk.

It houses. since 1802, inside, a bullring that is still in use.

----------------------------------------------------

Construido por los almorávides en el siglo IX a 438 metros de altura, fue árabe hasta que en 1263 Sancho II de Portugal lo conquisto y fue reconstruido totalmente en el año 1293 por Sancho IV pasando a la corona de Castilla. Tuvo gran importancia como defensa fronteriza perteneciendo a la llamada banda gallego leonesa.

Un primer cinturón de defensa lo constituían los castillos de Aroche, Encinasola y Fregenal, y ya, en un segundo cinturón, quedaban los de Cortegana, Torres y Cumbres. Mayores.


El castillo de Aroche fue uno de los construidos por el Concejo de Sevilla haciendo uso de la autorización que le dio Sancho IV en 1293. Situado en la parte más alta del cerro que sirve de asiento a la villa de Aroche. Hacia el Suroeste se localizaba el acceso al castillo, conservándose un arco de herradura apuntado y enmarcado en un alfiz. Sin embargo, a partir del siglo XVIII se entra a su interior por el Sureste, a través de la popular calle del Castillo.

El castillo aparece citado como propiedad de la ciudad de Sevilla en el “Ordenamiento para el Buen Gobierno” dado por Alfonso XI en 1344. Propiedad testimonial que, curiosamente, mantiene en la actualidad, pues cuando se creó la provincia de Huelva, Sevilla cedió el territorio, pero no las fortaleza igual ocurrió con los castillos de Cortegana, Encinasola, Almonaster la Real, Cumbres Mayores y en Sevilla Alcalá de Guadaira.

Tiene su recinto 98 metros de longitud máxima en dirección Sureste-Noroeste.

Su planta es un triángulo rectángulo con la hipotenusa en forma curva. Se encuentra flanqueado por diez torres de planta cuadrada de 4 a 5 metros hacia fuera de la muralla: las mayores se hallan en los tres ángulos del recinto. Las torres están desprovistas de cámaras, excepto la del Oeste y la de la izquierda del acceso principal, que se cubren con bóvedas de cañón; asimismo tiene un paseo de ronda.

Alberga. desde 1802, en su interior, una plaza de toros que aún sigue en uso.

PaulVDV, holmertz, Fis2, pajaran, ricardomattos, ikeharel, COSTANTINO, macjake ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 40
Discussions
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8603 W: 5 N: 15526] (69208)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH