Foto

Photographer's Note

The Monastery of Santa María del Parral, is a cloistered monastery of the Order of San Jerónimo located in the city of Segovia.

The monastery of El Parral is located outside the city next to the church of Vera Cruz and very close to the convent of San Juan de la Cruz and the old factory or mint, on the right bank of the Eresma river in the place known as "La alameda". It maintains the use for which it was created, belonging from its origin to the present day to the cloistered monks of the Order of San Jerónimo.

The different buildings that make up the monastic complex are distributed around several cloisters of Gothic, Mudejar and Plateresque styles. It was ordered to be built by King Enrique IV of Castile in 1447. The monastery of Santa María del Parral, together with the Dominican convent of Santa Cruz and the Franciscan convent of San Francisco, of which the cloister remains, makes up the trilogy of the first quality architecture of Segovia from the 15th century.

Inside, the main altarpiece of the church stands out, made in the 16th century, the work of Juan Rodríguez and a group of sculptors from Avila in the Renaissance style. The name is due to the fact that the Virgin of Parral, a Romanesque sculpture from a previous temple, is venerated there.

---------------------------------------------------

El Monasterio de Santa María del Parral, es un monasterio de clausura de la Orden de San Jerónimo ubicado en la ciudad de Segovia.

El monasterio de El Parral se encuentra a extramuros de la ciudad junto a la iglesia de la Vera Cruz y muy cercano al convento de San Juan de la Cruz y a la antigua fábrica o casa de la moneda, en la orilla derecha del río Eresma en el paraje conocido como "La alameda". Mantiene el uso para el que fue creado perteneciendo desde su origen a la actualidad a los monjes de clausura de la Orden de San Jerónimo.

Los diferentes edificios que componen el conjunto monacal están distribuidos en torno a varios claustros de estilos gótico, mudéjar y plateresco. Lo mandó construir el rey Enrique IV de Castilla en el año 1447. El monasterio de Santa María del Parral, junto con el convento de dominicos de Santa Cruz y con el convento franciscano de San Francisco, del que resta el claustro, conforma la trilogía de la arquitectura de primera calidad de la Segovia del siglo XV.​

En su interior destaca el retablo mayor de la iglesia, realizado en el siglo XVI, obra de Juan Rodríguez y de un conjunto de escultores abulenses de estilo renacentista. El nombre se debe a que en él se venera a la virgen del Parral, escultura románica procedente de un templo anterior.

mkamionka, Fis2, holmertz, PaulVDV, macjake, mcmtanyel, COSTANTINO, jemaflor, ikeharel ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9111 W: 5 N: 16381] (72978)
  • Genre: Persone
  • Medium: Colore
  • Date Taken: 2019-08-10
  • Esposizione: f/0.1, 1/214 secondi
  • Versione Foto: Versione Originale
  • Date Submitted: 2022-01-07 10:15
Viewed: 0
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9111 W: 5 N: 16381] (72978)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH