Foto

Photographer's Note

This is the historic Edirne Customs Station, which the people of Edirne now call the "Protocol House". It is located next to the southern foot of the Meriç Bridge. Although the exact date of construction is not known, it is safe to say that it was built in the second half of the 1800s, at the same time as the other buildings designed as an outposts along the road to Karaağaç district. It served as the Customs Enforcement Building and the Gendarmerie Station for many years. A line of the railway stretching to the historical train station in Karaağaç passed through here, and customs clearance was carried out in this building.

During the time leading to the Balkan Wars, the old train line became unsafe, it began to serve as an advanced gendarmerie station. During the war and subsequent occupation years, it was used for similar tasks for the occupation forces. The building continued in this role in the intial years of the Republic. While Thrace was evacuated against the danger of World War II, it was then abandoned. It was inactive for many years, exposed to the elements.

In 2002, the building was restored under the guidance of the then Edirne governor Fahri Yücel. It was allocated to Edirne Municipality and was opened for tourism purposes. It became known as the "Protocol House" after the restoration, because the Governor brought his special guests to this place for a coffee treat.

Exif Data:
Make: Canon
Model: Canon PowerShot SX70 HS
Software: Adobe Photoshop 23.2 (Macintosh)
Exposure Time: 1/1000
F-Stop: f/7.1
ISO Speed Ratings: 100
Focal Length: 3800/1000 mm
Date Taken: 2021-05-29 10:27
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
File Size: 1748 kb
GPS: 41.662220530538704, 26.551954156168208

COSTANTINO, ikeharel, Fis2, holmertz, Royaldevon, ChrisJ, adramad, PaulVDV ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 28
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Murat Tanyel (mcmtanyel) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 8216 W: 305 N: 17888] (68383)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH