Photographer's Note

The Bosphorus village of Ortaköy was a popular summer resort in the 19th century. Today Ortaköy (OHR-tah-keuy) is part of metropolitan Istanbul, a fashionable place to live, winter or summer.

Though the Jewish orphanage is gone and the historic Etz Ahayim Synagogue building burnt in 1941, Ortaköy still has a synagogue, and many other historic Ottoman sites are nearby: Dolmabahçe Palace, Yildiz Park and its kiosks (especially the Sale Kosku), and the great fortress of Rumeli Hisari.

The Ortaköy Camii, officially known as the Büyük Mecidiye Camii, was built in 1854 by Sultan Abdulmecit to replace an earlier mosque from 1714. The sultan used the same architect on this mosque as on the elaborate Dolmabahçe Palace. You can visit the mosque whenever it's open, although it's best not to visit at or shortly after prayer-time (the time of the muezzin's call).

YavuzA ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 1237
Points: 6
  • None
Additional Photos by Sezai Sahmay (sahmay) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 33 W: 0 N: 185] (1375)
View More Pictures