Photographer's Note

Ordained Presbyter on May 8 ceremony at the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, in Brás Pires town, Minas Gerais, Father Rodney Francisco Reis da Silva celebrated his first mass at the altar of the Church of São Manoel, patron saint of Rio Pomba town, on May 10, 2009.

In 1767, 242 years ago, Father Manuel de Jesus Maria celebrated the first Mass in this land, and nine years later began building the first Church of São Manoel.

Rio Pomba is a town of strong religious tradition since its foundation.

Rio Pomba – History
The origin of the settlement of São Manoel do Rio Pomba e Peixe, today named Rio Pomba town, back to the second decade of the seventeenth century, when Brazil was in full time of colonization.
Indians inhabiting those lands the indians Croatos, Cropós or Coropós and Botocudos.

In 1718, D. João V, by royal charter of February 16, created the community of Rio São Manoel do Rio Pomba e Peixe, subject to the Bishopric of St. Sebastian of Rio de Janeiro.
Only on September 14, 1765, by order of D. Luiz Diogo Lobo e Silva, Governor of the Province, confirmed the statement of Father Manuel de Jesus Maria for the post of director of the Indians in the new village of Rio Pomba e Peixe.

Vicar appointed and authorized to celebrate the first Mass and "villages and civilize the Indians of hinterland and forests of the Pomba river," Father Manuel celebrated the first mass in those “hinterlands” on December 25, 1767.

At the end of it wrought by Father Manuel de Jesus Maria, on the conclusion of the first mass in the corners and forests of the Pomba river, are the names and signatures of Inácio de Andrade Ribeiro, Manoel Durão, Silvestre Rodrigues Alves, João Moreira de Jesus, Joaquim Cordeiro, José Vieira and Valentim Dias dos Santos.

It seems, were the signatories of the term of office of the new Vicar civilized to fix the first residence in the new parish, ignoring, however, the reason given for their welcome, as well as what activities, for sure, if engaged, be to agriculture or crafts.

Narrate the chronic indigenous tribes that do not offer resistance to the colonizers and the Father Manuel and the captain Tomás Guido were respected by them, hiring them to work farming and teaching them the religion and customs.

Began their arduous task, Father Manuel did build the first church Matrix in 1776, building over the carpenter Caetano Furtado de Mendonça, a native of Itaverava town and resident in Catas Altas town.

The first teacher in the village was Matias Pereira da Cunha Albuquerque that already in 1776, taught the "first letters".

Taking Father Manuel de Jesus Maria died in 1811, was buried in the local Church.

Continued progress of the Pomba e Peixe village that later became called the "Arraial da Pomba" until 1831, when he was a high category of town, under the terms of Mariana.

On August 23, 1832, between parties and joys, was raised in the "Largo da Alegria" the Pelourinho, dominating pattern of jurisdiction, under the chairmanship of the District of Ouvidor Mariana, Dr. José Antonio Monteiro de Barros.

Law No. 881 of 6 June 1858, raised the Rio Pomba villa to the category of town, which was installed on January 20, 1859, the Mayor and Colonel Domingos José da Silveira and Vice President Mr. Francisco Barbosa de Castro. In 1870, it founded in the town the Clube Jerônimo de Souza, an artistic and cultural Club, of that in 1886, received the visit of Dom Pedro II, and there also, later, Silva Jardim, great debater ,pronounced memorable conference about the Republic proclamation.

On March 25, 1879, was inaugurated the gas light in the town.
O Bocaiu "the first newspaper in town, circulated in 1882, with director Jorge Rodrigues de Coura.

The year 1886 marked the council to two events: the visit of Emperor Dom Pedro II and the inauguration of the railway linking the town and extension of the Pomba to Guarani.
The date January 1, 1888 marks another important fact to the municipality, with the inauguration of the Companhia Ferro Carril Pombense.
Dr. Aurelio Salgado, was delivered to the public in 1894, the first service of water supply. In the same year, on October 14, inaugurated the building of the Forum.

Encyclopedia of Brazilian Municipalities - Volume XXVII

bona ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2819
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Roberto Mosqueira (Roberto_Babo) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 15 W: 2 N: 46] (227)
View More Pictures